Saturday, May 15, 2010

My work at the muni....

Greetings all, thank you for the comments. I'm glad to know that these blogs are being read and enjoyed. I sure enjoy writing them, as it provides an outlet for the craziness of the situation that I find myself living in integrating within the community and work. While I was looking forward to easing into the work here, there is not an opportunity for "easing". The work is rapidly manifesting itself, as I am quickly trying to adjust to this new rhythm.
Guatemalans have an interesting outlook on time. Here in Guatemala time is relative. There exists a phrase which is commonly known and used here which is called the "hora chapina." This time schedule is very common here in Guatemala, where one is not just fashionably late, but one is incredibly late. It has been common place here to be waiting for a meeting to begin for over an hour and a half when finally the alcalde (mayor) walks in the door after an extended meeting in his office. As one who has a lot of patience in general, I find the hora chapina to be a comfortable, stress-free way of being. And this was what I was looking forward to becoming used to in living here in Guatemala. However, reality has proved the contrary to be the case. With my work in the muni, one has to be on time and punctual or is subject to ridicule. In all of my adjusting process, I admit to have been behind schedule on the occassion. This has been met with scorn by my counterpart Victor, who is one who always seems to be working and is very "pilas," as the expression goes. He has repeatedly told me that I need to be more pilas. Though I agree with him that it is a huge benefit to be pilas and I am working on being more organized and productive with my time at work, it proves to be a huge obstacle to adjust to living here speaking spanish 90% or more of the day, and trying to fit in with the way things work around here. It proves to be a huge task to fit in and the work component is challenging. I would say that my language skills are greatly improving, however, put in relation to my co-workers who are all native speakers and professionals, my language proficiency is sub-par, at best. Oh well, poco a poco, I'll get there.
Alright friends, that's it for now.
Stay tuned,
Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment