Saturday, May 15, 2010

La Casa Rosada Loca


So I've decided to write an entry about the crazy pink house that I live in. The picture to the right was taken in my hallway with dual mirrors on either side of the hallWhat used to be a beauty salon, the owner Gregoria decided it was appropriate to paint the house a barbie pink color, with those pink swirls, barbie dolls in the bathroom, and a big patio. Along side the house is another big room, which is being used as a Pasteleria, a bakery. The ladies working in the bakery share the bathroom in the house with me. The house was vacated by the family of Gregoria, an elementary school teacher in Xela (the closest city), who decided to move closer to her work to provide her family with better opportunities for work and school, while still keeping the house here in Totonicapan.
The Peace Corps puts lots of rules and regulations on us as volunteer as to the context where we live for the first three months in our site. The rules, established to insure our safety and that the integration into our community is as smooth as it can be. The main rule for the first 3 months is that we live with, or have close contact with a family. Though I am the sole caretaker of this house, watching over the cat, Gota (who is sitting on my lap as I write this entry), the Peace Corps approves this house because it is connected with the pasteleria and I have regular contact with the ladies next door.
Not sure how long I'm going to live here, as this place is dirty and falling apart. But so long as it fulfills Peace Corps requirements, I'm good here. It provides a good refuge and work station with the privacy needed while my work is coming to crunch time...
Stay posted, I'll be updating this blog more frequently now.
Happy journeys,
Jesse

1 comment:

  1. It's a crazy pink house! I know there is something perfect out there waiting for you but, for now, this one works. Three months will be here and gone before you know it.
    Love you, Jebby!

    ReplyDelete